Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Saturday, February 4, 2017

*Update* on homemade laundry detergent!


   A year ago (Feb. 22, 2016) I blogged about making homemade laundry detergent (powder).  I wanted to give an update on how that is going.

   It didn't last the 2 years like I was hoping, but in all fairness, I used double the amount it said too.  The recipe called for 1 tbs. of detergent and I over heaped my 2 tbs. scoop.  I didn't do this because 1 tbs wasn't getting the clothes clean, I was just in a hurry.  (On the really heavy muddy loads I did double up to make sure the mud came out.)

  When I ran out, I purchased some liquid stuff from the store and I had forgotten how much this stuff costs, the large amount I had to use for each load and how fast it went!  So I decided to make another homemade batch.  I had everything I needed to make a new batch except for the fact I was short 1 bar of soap.  (The recipe is below.  To see the directions, pics and the 'how to', go to my blog post dated Feb. 22, 2016.)  So I asked my mom if she had a bar of Ivory soap.  She didn't, but had a Zest bar.  So I used the Zest bar with the 2 Ivory bars instead.  It smelled amazing due to the Zest!  However, I broke out!  I was itchy and had a lot of irritation so I gave that batch to her and just made another one today with the 3 bars of Ivory.  You may be able to use other soaps but for some reason I couldn't.  I'm not usually one to break out over things.  I've never had sensitive skin before.

1 box of Borax 
1 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 
3 bars of Ivory soap 
(Cost:  approx. $12)

Anyway, I just wanted to update you on the laundry soap topic. Did anyone else try this?  I know when I posted it on my FB page I had a lot of feedback on using this.  Our local homeschool group did a demonstration on homemade products and this was a big hit.




No comments:

Post a Comment