Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Is There a Better Education Out There For My Kids?

Whether you are sick of school politics, unhappy with the public school system or just want to be in control of what your children are learning...............YES, there is possibly a better education out there.

Now before any of the public school teachers or supports start throwing tomatoes at me, I am not saying everyone should do what I'm about to suggest.  Just hear me out.  

I went to public school.  I turned out fine.  However, I want my children to not just get an education, but I want them to have a learning experience and have fun!

You may know what I'm about to say (hint: read my blog name), yes, homeschool.  

The definition of homeschooling is:  the education of children at home by their parents.


You have the option.  It is legal in all 50 states!  You have that right to want better for your children.  You may say to yourself, "My kids are doing fine in the public school system".  Well, they may be.  But have you ever asked them?  

No, I don't have a teaching degree, do you?  No, I didn't make straight A's in school, did you?  But I do have a diploma and I homeschooled 3 boys.  My oldest son is a correctional officer (age 20).  My middle son wanted to go to college (and not a community college, a university.  Not that there is anything wrong with a community college but I'm trying to make a point here).  I gave him a diploma and he entered his freshman year of college at age 16!  Excellent grades too!  I didn't go to college, but I homeschooled a child who is now in his second semester as a sophomore in college at the age of 18.  He will have his BA by the time he is 20 years old.  My youngest son is in homeschooling 8'th grade.  Actually a little "unschooling", but that's for a different blog post. ;)

Before you think to yourself that you can't possibly homeschool because you and your spouse work full time, get that out of your head.  You can.  Does your teen need a babysitter?  No.  You just need to delegate and follow up.  Honestly, it's not hard.  Give your teen some credit, they may surprise you.

I came across this video today on youtube from Tedx.  The video talks about taking your teens OUT OF SCHOOL.  Really, it's not a "so they can play video games all day", but really, watch the video and think about it.



I remember being in school (jr. high esp.) feeling miserable.  I hated it!  No, I wasn't bullied, no I wasn't failing and yes I had a lot of friends.  I just hated the social crap, the learning stuff that I will never use in my lifetime and the stupid rules that didn't make sense to me.  When my mom would ask me if I was ok, I said 'yes'.  But I wasn't.  I hated school.  If she would have watched this video and came to me with the concept, I would accepted!

If you are thinking about homeschooling high school, I have done several blog posts about it.  One of my favorites is posted on Feb. 27,2016.  (You can search that date in the search bar on my blog.)

So if you are seeing a change in your child, or want something different that the standard education in the public schools, think outside the box...........homeschool.

Disclaimer:  PLEASE know your states homeschool laws.  I mentioned that it is legal in all 50 states, but each state has their own set of laws.  For more info, you can visit HSLDA to inquire of your state laws for homeschooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment