Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Capsule Wardrobe .... well, kind of.

I've spend some time reading about Minimalism and one of the many chats is about creating a capsule wardrobe.  A capsule wardrobe is minimal wardrobe composed of 30 to 40 high-quality, versatile items that will meet your needs for a given time amount of time.  The challenge I tried to achieve was the 333 challenge.  You create a capsule wardrobe of 33 pieces and us only those items for 3 months.

Well, I love clothes!  But I'm not a mall junkie or online shopping junkie.  I am a thrift store junkie!  I love free or super cheap clothes.  It's like a rush for me to find great yard sale finds of nice clothes.  But, I live in a world where my closet is scary.  I have tons of stuff that I have only worn once or twice or are old and I don't want to get rid of.  Well, today is the day of a clean, organized and minimal closet!!

Here is the clean, empty closet I started with this morning.  I took everything out of it and piled it on my bed and floor.  Now I use my closet for storage as well so some things must go back in that are not clothes; I just purged clothes today.  (I should have taken a 'before' pic, but honestly, it wasn't pretty.)


 photo 20170111_090816.jpg

My bed was full of clothes!  I couldn't believe how much stuff I really had in there!

 photo 20170111_090823.jpg

I went through each piece on the bed and asked myself, "Have I worn this in the past 6 months or year?" or "Does this still fit?" and "Is there any rips or stains?"

For the stained things, I pitched.  The things I said NO to, I put in piles to give away.  I was a little overwhelmed at first I cannot lie.  But it really didn't take me that long.  I'd say about 3 hours to go through everything, pack in bags to give away, and rehang.  

Here are my piles of clothes to get rid of.

 photo 20170111_102326.jpg

 photo 20170111_102337.jpg

 photo 20170111_102358.jpg


Here is the finished product.  Now, there are 34 pieces hanging in there.  This doesn't count accessories (purses, shoes, scarves, etc.), a pair of scrubs, a bathrobe, my wedding dress and jeans.  Living on a farm, I need my jeans. Most minimalist count accessories as pieces, but I couldn't do that.....not yet.  Baby steps. Baby steps.  

 photo 20170111_102133.jpg

I still have some clothes in my dresser.  I did purge that as well.  I kept sweaters, PJ's, a few work-out clothes and of course undergarments.  I did not purge my boots. Again, farm......need boots.  

So everything is bagged up and waiting for a new home.  


 photo 20170111_111716.jpg


Now that I am finished with this project, I feel really good.  I know that I have just what I need.  Maybe a bit more, but I can downsize again this spring/summertime.  Baby steps.  ;) When I dig out my summer clothes from storage, I'll do the same process.  I always have more fall/winter clothes though, than summer clothes.  

Here are a few website that will help you if you decide to create a capsule wardrobe:

How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe (and why it will change your life)


How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe - 333 Project



No comments:

Post a Comment