Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Thursday, December 27, 2012

God called me to homeschool, but the court was going to tell me NO !!!

I wanted to tell my story of how God not only called me to homeschool, but how he changed the heart of a man who was dragging me through the mud!

Here is my homeschooling story:

When God called me to homeschool I was excited, but so terrified!

My youngest was only a few months old, my middle son was 5 (still in Pre-K) and my oldest was just starting 3'rd grade in a Christian private school located in our church.   I felt that God told me to start homeschooling.  I started by going to a local homeschool meeting and I was hooked!  This was going to be awesome, but so terrifying at the same time.

I first talked this over with my husband and at that time we needed to decide if I was going to go back to work or just going to stay home.  Like I mentioned, my youngest son was only a few months old and I had been on bedrest since the 24'th week of my pregnancy, so my maternity leave was over with before our son was even born and we were already surviving on one income.  So we weighed out the costs of a babysitter, gas to work and back, the stress of working and having three young boys to raise and of course our private Christian school the two older boys were attending was NOT cheap so it was a no brainer.  So my journey began.

The principle at our Christian school, who was also our pastor's wife, was not amused at the notice of our homeschooling.  My friends and some relatives thought we were out of our minds.  The most famous line was getting thrown at me from several angles, "What about their socialization?".  That gets really old.  But guess what?  I didn't have all the answers and that was terrifying!  But I knew that the Lord told me to homeschool my children so I didn't have to have all the answers.

Then we had a court issue with our homeschooling with my ex-husband.  When I first discussed the homeschooling with my ex husband, he forbid me to homeschool our son.....even if our son wasn't the legal school age yet!  Remember, he was only 5 and the Compulsory Attendance Ages in Florida were 6 - 16 at that time.  So my ex husband took me before the judge.  Well, the judge was clearly not educated on the homeschooling issue and definitely NOT homeschool friendly and he was on the verge of forcing my son back to the private school or the local public school.  I was so frustrated.

But then one Sunday, I went to the altar in our church (during service).  I gave it all to the Lord.  I remember praying, "God, you told me to do this.  I obeyed.  But I cannot fight in court anymore, and I cannot convince this judge or my ex husband to let me homeschool so if you want me to do this, you must work it out.  I am giving it to you."  This was so hard.  Hard to give it all to Jesus and tell him that I was defeated and I couldn't fight anymore.  The Lord reminded me that I didn't have to fight.  If HE wanted me to homeschool, he'll make it happen.

Well, two days later, the phone rang.   My ex husband had changed his mind.  He was dropping all the court proceedings and was giving me permission to homeschool!  This was a man who drug me through court hearing after court hearing and even threatened to file for custody!  Over the previous few months, I had to provide the court and my ex husband ALL of my sons work that he had done at home, while homeschooling two boys and taking care of a newborn.  It was exhausting!  My ex husband did not give me a reason for changing his mind and I never asked; I knew that the Lord changed his heart and mind!  So when that phone call came, that my friend, was the LORD!

So you see, if the Lord calls you to do something and it seems too much or impossible, think again.  If he calls you to something, he has already worked it out.  Nothing is too great or too small for God.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, 
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Homeschooling life is much better now.  My boys are now 9, 14 and 16 yrs. old.  I will never doubt the plan that the Lord has for us.  I will also never regret our long struggling journey with our homeschooling adventure.  

Oh, and just last month my ex husband told me that I was doing a great job homeschooling our son!  God is good.....yes, all the time.

So be encouraged!  
God has a plan for you and it's better than you can ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment