Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Encouragement

A few words of encouragement.  Homeschooling can be exciting, but it can also be overwhelming at times.  I am in my 9'th year of homeschooling and I still lock myself in my bathroom a few times per year with frustration.  lol.  Really, I do.  This year I have not had to do that yet, and hope not to. 

I am trying to get the point across that whether you are new to homeschooling or have been homeschooling for several years, you WILL face times of trial and challenge. 

The Bible tells us in Proverbs 22:6 ~ Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I believe this with all my heart.  Focus on the character traits of our children, not always the academics.  

Proverbs 25:15 says "Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone."   When we get irritated that our children may not be getting the key point of a lesson, or just not understanding, we need to have patience.  



When the parent is calm, I believe that the student is calm.   My number one pet peeve is my son dropping his pencil!  Day after day, several times a day...it drives me crazy!  Reprimanding, yelling, etc. didn't help the situation.  I had to take a deep breath and figure out what to do about this before I exploded, lol!   The solution was simple really.  I keep extra pencils on the table so when he drops one, it stays until after the lesson is complete.  Wow, who would have thought it would be that easy to take care of?  Staying calm was not, and still is not, an easy trait for me.  I am a yeller, my mother was a yeller, my grandmother was a yeller.  Not a mean crazywoman-like, just a yeller.  With God's help, I am working on this still.  ;)

So be encouraged!  If you are having a bad homeschool day, take a breath, let the kids take a 15 minute break, have a cup of joe and relax.  My grandma (who has passed away) used to tell me, "this too shall pass".  Years later I found that in my Bible.  It is in scripture!  I just thought it was something grandmas said, but she was speaking the word of God to me every time.  That is encouraging to me.

Matthew 7:7-8 says  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."






No comments:

Post a Comment