Fight like a girl

Blogaholic Designs”=

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Home Canning

As a child, I remember eating tons of food from home canning.  Potatoes, tomatoes, pickles, apples, pears, peaches, pickled eggs, etc.  I, until recently, forgot how wonderful these foods taste!  If you don't believe me or you've never eaten a home canned food, you need to do the taste test!  

I bet everyone knows at least one person (young or old) who cans.  If not, you must live in a huge city. ;)  Ask for a can of anything!  Then go buy that same type of food in the store, canned.  For example:  green beans - buy a can of green beans and then taste a home canned one.  OH MY GOSH!  You'll never eat old canned stuff again.  hee,hee.

As you know, I homeschool.  Well, during canning season this year, we are homeschool canning!  I just can't get both done completely so I combined them.  Nutrition is part of our science class, so that is what I am teaching my sons.  I am teaching them how to preserve our food not only for a 'rainy day', but for health reasons.  Lets face it, you really don't know exactly what is in those cans you buy off the store shelf.  Over the years, there have been reports on mice feces on the tops, bacteria, and even a human finger in one!  Yes, I read it.  Gross!  Now please don't post that I am insulting you if you don't can.  It's not for everyone or maybe you don't have the means to can.  Personally, I don't like canning in general, but the results are SO WORTH IT!

So here is what we have been busy canning this week:

APPLES!!!


 photo 101_9338.jpg
 photo 101_9339.jpg


Hint: These were sold as 'deer apples'.  For those of you who don't know what 'deer' apples are, they are apples that may have some bruises or not perfect enough for the stores.  But look at these!  Gorgeous!

POTATOES!!!

 photo 101_9346.jpg

 A neighbor brought these over to us.  He grew them in his garden and he had too many.  :)  Yippy!  The small potatoes that you think may be too small to eat....wrong!  They are perfect for canning!

The end result:


 photo 101_9347.jpg photo 101_9348.jpg



















       









So I challenge you to take the 'canning challenge' and taste the difference between the store canned food and home canned food. And this is a great learning experience for my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment